As of July 1, 2016, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are allowed to ride on the highways in Rocky Top, TN.

What is this so important? Because Rocky Top is adjacent to Windrock Park, which is the largest privately-owned off-road recreation area in the country with over 72,000 acres that includes off-highway vehicle trails, hiking trails and mountain biking trails.

Having access to the highways in Rocky Top will allow riders to come into town from the Windrock Park trails to buy gas, eat at restaurants, stay at the hotels, etc. without having to reload their equipment.

What to know before you go. Riders must register with the City of Rocky Top and can do so at City Hall and at the Rocky Top Police Station when City Hall is closed on evenings and weekends. Permits for Windrock Park are now being sold at Shop Rite Grocery Store in Rocky Top, TN at the intersection of Highway 25W and Highway 116 and must be obtain in addition to the City’s permit to access Windrock’s property.

Don’t pass by the local eateries. If you love BBQ, you have to stop in the Coal Creek Smokehouse BBQ. You can dine in or take it with you on the trail. They are located next to the Coal Creek Miners Museum and City Hall. Glenn’s Pizza and Grill is located near the interstate and don’t let the name fool you, they have so much more than pizza.

There are a few rules to ensure the safety of the riders and other users of the roads.

  • All-terrain vehicles will ONLY be allowed on Highway 25W from the intersection of Colonial Lane to the intersection at Jacksboro Avenue, Highway 116 from the intersection of Highway 25W and Beech Grove Road and on Beech Grove Road from the intersection with Highway 116 to the entrance to Windrock Park and only between one-half (1/2) hour after sunrise and one-half (1/2) hour before sunset. The route is marked with signage.
  • Anyone operating an ATV must be 16 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license.
  • Each person riding on the vehicle must wear a helmet.
  • The vehicle must have working headlights and brake lights. If the vehicle doesn’t have turn signals, the operator must use hand signals when turning.
  • The owner of the vehicles must have insurance on the vehicle and must be prepared to show proof of insurance.
  • Riders must lawfully operate their vehicle at all times.
  • Any violation to the state laws and the rules listed here will result in loss of privileges to operate vehicle on the specified road.